Help and Support
Need help using the Ivory Towers site? Don't worry, we'll try to help you with any problems you might have. Make sure you've checked the following pages before getting in touch with us.
Meeting Up - some simple advice
With the Ivory Towers website you can develop online friendships with people you might never have met otherwise.
Once you have been emailing new friends for awhile you may decide that you would like to meet each other in person.
Before you agree to meet it is a good idea to have established a regular correspondence. Remember the more you know about the person before you meet, the better time you are likely to have when you do meet.
- Before telephoning someone consider the following: if you are telephoning a mobile or a landline the number which you are calling from (i.e. your telephone number) will be registered and they could call you back. If you wish to avoid having your number traced, dial 141 in front of the number you are calling. This prevents the receiver from being able to access your number . This function normally works on mobile phones as well.
If there is somebody who is behaving in a way that you consider inappropriate, they can be removed from the site. Please contact us about this via the help system and we will look into the situation.
If there are other issues, you may want to refer to our Terms and Conditions or FAQ.
- Tell a friend or relative where you are going, what time you are meeting and when you expect to return home.
- Arrange your own transport to and from the meeting. Don't accept offers of a lift from your new friend.
- Set a time limit for your first meeting, keeping it short. Meet in a public place, perhaps lunch or tea in a cafe. Check in advance the opening days and times of your chosen meeting venue.
- Do not invite him/her to your home on the first meeting, or visit them at their home.
- Do not divulge personal details too early. Information like your home address, place of work and so on are best kept to yourself until you feel absolutely secure about sharing them.
Remember that many email addresses contain someone's full name. If you do not wish to give this information out when emailing off the site, you might wish to consider setting up an email account which does not include your full name.
- Go with your instincts. If the meeting is not going well and you are feeling uncomfortable make your excuses and leave politely.
- You are under no obligation to meet people in person. If you are not sure or it doesn't feel right to you, don't.
- For hints on creating a good profile, click here.
- Click here if you have been disappointed with the site.